Data shows that art lovers aren’t going to the same places where the money is. It's time funding began to respect the diversity of tastes found in Australian audiences, argues Marcus Westbury.
The small arts sector is more efficient in reaching audiences and supporting the arts. Image credit: Performance by Circa captured by Darcy Grant Photography
Sometimes it takes an extraordinary decision to draw attention to the ordinary ones around us all the time. As anyone with a passing interest in the arts now knows, Senator Brandis, the Federal Arts Minister has recently stripped more than a hundred million dollars from the Australia Council to fund a National Programme for Excellence in the Arts (NPEA) to be administered directly by his department.
This content is only available to members of ArtsHub
Join Now for instant access!
A subscription to ArtsHub will enable you to:
- Access the most comprehensive jobs board for the arts sector, with hundreds of positions posted weekly
- Keep up to date with the latest industry news
- Access thousands of members-only features, articles and guides
- Be in the know with upcoming events and exhibitions added daily
- Learn how and where to get grants, with the most extensive grant finder
... and much, much more.
Join Now and join the Australian arts community today