Thanks to a grant from the Copyright Agency Cultural Fund, The Australian Society of Authors are able to offer a new mentorship program for writers and illustrators, to help you develop your work to a publishable standard.
A team of experts will assess all submissions and award the following free mentorship packages to 20 winners in 2022:
- 20 hours of mentoring with an ASA mentor
- Participation in a Paths to Publishing program designed to help you establish yourself as a small business and acquire sufficient industry knowledge to navigate your way through the submission and contract process
- Free ASA membership for 12 months (or an extension of membership if you are already a member)
- Free ticket to Literary Speed Dating
Four highly commended applicants will receive:
- 4 hours mentoring with an ASA mentor based on the first ten pages of your manuscript or portfolio
- Participation in the Paths to Publishing Program
Entries will be accepted in the following genres for writers: fiction (both literary and genre), narrative non-fiction (including autobiography/memoir, essays and histories), journalism, poetry, illustrated and lifestyle non-fiction, young adult literature and children’s writing for all ages.
Illustrator entries will be accepted for children’s picture books and graphic novels.
All writers and illustrators are welcome to apply. In recognition of barriers to access and to encourage diversity in publishing, we are encouraging submissions from:
- Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander writers and illustrators
- Writers from marginalised communities (culturally, ethnically, and linguistically diverse creators, creators from LBGTQIA + communities, and creators with disabilities.)
- Writers/illustrators from regional and remote areas
Successful applicants will work closely with a mentor selected from the ASA Mentors’ Register(link is external) for 20 hours over one year.
Entry is free for members of the ASA. Non-members may enter but must pay an administration fee of $65(link is external) (inc GST) per entry.
For more information, visit Australian Society of Authors