Structural change with, beside and beyond the museum
Parallel is an ARC Linkage project developed in collaboration with artists, writers and researchers based at UNSW Art & Design, the Institute for Culture & Society, and Sydney College for the Arts, working in partnership with Murray Art Museum Albury (MAMA). Parallel aims to reimagine the ways in which museums operate, and improve professional pathways into institutions for curators and arts practitioners from Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CaLD) backgrounds. MAMA is located on Wiradjuri country in Albury, on the border of NSW and Victoria. The museum will partner with Parallel to host six Curatorial Fellowships that will deliver a series of projects between 2022 – 2024.
PARALLEL Curatorial Fellowships
Applications now open
Parallel will commission six independent and/or emerging art workers who identify as CaLD to develop projects that explore opportunities for structural change at MAMA. Participants will be mentored by CaLD researchers, curators and museum directors, as well as First Nations curators and leaders to develop vocabularies, protocols, knowledge and networks across multiple cultures.
The curatorial commissions can span experimental museology, collection re-hangs, institutional critique, exhibition making, digital projects, public programming and writing/editing (and more).
Participants will become Fellows within the Parallel program and be invited to take part in various aspects of the Australia Research Council research project, including a Curatorial Intensive, Symposium, lectures, workshops, and publications, and will receive mentoring and professional development opportunities from the Parallel Team, including MAMA staff and the Advisory Network.
Who you are:
- An independent and/or early career arts worker with a demonstrated interest in curating, museology, and/or public programming
- Identify as being CaLD and under-represented in Australian art institutions
- Committed to rethinking and reimagining museums while working collaboratively with fellow curators, artists, researchers and industry peers
What Parallel offers:
- $7000 curator fee
- All fees, including artists fees, artwork loans, installation and/or public programs costs, to support your curatorial project (using NAVA rates)
- Administration, installation, marketing and professional documentation of your project at MAMA in 2023
- All travel costs to attend the Parallel Curatorial Intensive at MAMA for five days in early 2022
- All travel costs for research and development week at MAMA in late 2022
- All travel costs to attend the Parallel Symposium at MAMA in early 2024
- Ongoing mentorship from Parallel, MAMA and the Advisory Network (each fellow will be paired with one member of the Advisory Network after the selection process is completed in a consultative and collaborative manner)
- *Travel costs include transport, accommodation and per diems
Applications are now open. Due 5pm (AEDT) December 22, 2021.