We are excited to announce that entries to the 2024 National Photographic Portrait Prize are now open.
Now in its 17th year, the National Photographic Portrait Prize (NPPP) is a staple of the Australian art prize landscape. Each year, finalists are selected from a national field of entries, reflecting the distinctive vision of Australia’s aspiring and professional portrait photographers, as well as the unique nature of their subjects.
To be eligible to enter the 2024 NPPP, your work must be:
- a framed photograph
- taken after 2 February 2023
- depicting a person or persons, from a live sitting (Zoom’s okay too)
- entirely your own intellectual property (we’re looking at you, AI).
To enter, artists must be:
- an Australian citizen or a resident of Australia at the time of your online entry
- 18 years or over at the time of your online entry.
And, because we love our growing family of Aussie photographers, we’re pleased to announce that it is now FREE to enter the Prize!
The Gallery is committed to supporting artists, so each selected finalist will receive:
- an artist fee of $1200 to exhibit your work at the NPG
- an additional artist fee if $700 of your work is included in the NPPP 2024 National Tour
- a copyright and image licensing fee of $1000
- domestic artwork freight allowance to and from the Gallery
- domestic travel allowance and accommodation in Canberra for the exhibition launch.
In 2024, the winner will receive a prize of $30,000. All finalist artworks will also be exhibited at the National Portrait Gallery from 22 June to 13 October 2024.
So what are you waiting for? Whip out those SD cards, develop that film and get submitting!
Entries close on 7 February 2024.