ABOUT THE GALLERY
Established in 2001, the Maroondah Federation Estate Gallery is owned and managed by Maroondah City Council. The Gallery is an outstanding exhibitions venue with strong links to the local community and to Melbourne’s dynamic arts scene.
Maroondah Federation Estate Gallery is part of the City of Maroondah’s network of arts sites and facilities within the Ringwood arts precinct. The exhibition and presentation program encompasses a broad range of contemporary and traditional visual arts practice including painting, sculpture, ceramics, printmaking, drawing, photography, video, design, jewellery, installation as well as scope for performance and multi-media artworks. The Gallery is situated prominently at the entrance of Maroondah Federation Estate, 32 Greenwood Avenue, Ringwood (Melways ref: 49H10).
Maroondah Federation Estate is a community and cultural facility with a wide range of user groups and visitors. It includes a café and an attractive outdoor setting. There is car parking for visitors and signage marks the location clearly. The Gallery is easily accessible, including by wheelchair, and is close to public transport. Admission to the Gallery is free.
LOCAL ARTIST INITIATIVE FOR 2022
As part of Maroondah Federation Estate Gallery’s call for applications, we are offering one free exhibition in Gallery 2 (adjacent to the Gallery 1) to a local artist living and/or working in the City of Maroondah. This initiative aims to support and foster our local artists and to showcase the talents of our artistic community. One selected artist will be invited to exhibit in Gallery 2 -simply tick the ‘local artist’ box in the application form to apply.
Maroondah Federation Estate
32 Greenwood Ave Ringwood VIC 3134 03 9298 4553
Monday to Friday 9.00am – 5.00pm
Saturday 12.00noon – 4.00pm (when artist arranges to invigilate gallery)
Sundays and Public Holidays closed except by prior arrangement
CARE OF ARTWORKS
Please note that whilst Maroondah Federation Estate is staffed and equipped with closed circuit surveillance, there is no direct invigilation of the gallery space. Council will not be held responsible for loss, theft or damage to the artworks before, during or after the exhibition.
Gallery 1: $968 (inc GST) for a minimum exhibition period of (7) seven weeks.
This fee is divided into two installments:
Installment 1: A deposit must be paid upon signing the contract for $480
Installment 2: The remaining $488 to be paid 6 weeks prior to the exhibition opening.
A further bond may apply if audio-visual equipment is required.
Gallery 2: No fees apply for the artist or group selected for the local artist initiative, (please tick the relevant fields in the application form on p.11).
Work may be offered for sale by artist/hirer’s.
All sales and enquiries must be handled directly by the artist/hirer. All artwork sales made over the duration of the exhibition of the exhibition must be processed directly by the artist/hirer.
Council will not be involved in the negotiation of sale.
EXHIBITION SUPPORT INCLUDES
The Gallery staff will provide a range of support and advice to the artist/hirer as follows:
• Advice and assistance with exhibition development and design. Installation of the artworks by professional art technicians.
• Advice regarding the artist/hirer’s planning and development of public programs and associated activities that complement and expand the potential audience for each exhibition/presentation
• Assistance with the marketing of the exhibition/program and associated activities via e-invite supplied by the Gallery for use on social media, email, etc.
• Design and installation of exhibition signage including entry signage and labels or room sheet
• Use of the following equipment within the artist/hirer’s exhibition/program: Audio-visual projection equipment Installation equipment Sound system for the opening launch Access to a variety of plinths and display cases
All exhibitions/programs are required to hold an opening launch.
Included in the hire fee is the cost of a small quantity of catering by Karralyka and non-alcoholic beverages to the value of $300 (incl GST).
This may need to be suplemented by the hirer.
A certified RSA staff member is included to serve any alcoholic beverages. Alcohol must be supplied by the hirer/artist.
The Gallery will provide the artist/hirer with:
• Design of colour e- invitation and e- mail-outs to Maroondah City Council Councillors and staff, arts organisations, media, VIPs and subscribers
• Line listings in Art Guide Australia
• Advice on other marketing and promotions for the exhibition
• Inclusion of exhibition details on Council\\\’s website and the ‘artsinmaroondah’ facebook page and Instagram • The artist/hirer is responsible for all costs associated with advertising or promotional activities not stated above.
• In addition to the gallery support outlined above, artist/hirer’s are expected to actively promote their exhibition through their own networks and other channels. All marketing and communications must include approved use of logos and acknowledgements as determined by Council and must be provided to Council for approval prior to distribution
In order to limit down-time between exhibitions, the Gallery requires that artist/hirer’s adhere to strict schedules for installing and dismantling exhibitions. Schedules will be discussed and agreed upon with the gallery staff who will provide professional art technicians for the installation of works.
Associated activities must form part of the artist/hirer’s exhibition program as discussed with Gallery staff.
Artist or group will also be responsible for :
• Providing relevant information about the exhibition to Gallery staff for its promotional campaign no later than three (3) months before the exhibition opening
• Providing artwork label information no later than four (4) weeks before the exhibition opening
• Providing digital images suitable for publicity and or reproduction purposes three (3) months prior to the exhibition • Installation requirements of exhibition
• Public liability insurance with certificate of currency (Gallery can advise of available options)
EXHIBITION SELECTION PROCESS
Maroondah Federation Estate Gallery makes an annual callout for Exhibition Proposals from artists, arts groups, curators or organisations wishing to stage exhibitions or other presentations. Priority is given to:
• Proposals that demonstrate a clear and relevant local context and/or connection to the local community
• Exhibitions that present a quality and coherent body of work across their theme/idea/group
• A diverse annual program which includes sound representation of Indigenous artists, a broad age range, cultural diversity and gender balance
• Overall balance of the annual program to include for example gender equity, and culturally and linguistically diverse participation
• Work that is professionally presented and by individuals/groups that are able to maintain the high standard of presentation in the Maroondah Federation Estate Gallery
• Proposals that demonstrate a strong understanding of local audiences and include a relevant public program/audience engagement plan.
Those interested in submitting an Exhibition Proposal can discuss their submission first with the Curatorial Team. Please call 9298 4553 or email Gallery.Attendant@Maroondah.
As there is strong interest in hiring the Maroondah Federation Estate Gallery, please note that submitting an Exhibition Proposal does not guarantee your proposal will be accepted. Once all proposals have been received they will be assessed according to the above criteria by an expert selection panel.
HOW TO APPLY
Please complete the Exhibition Proposal Application Form in full.
Copies can be downloaded at https://www.maroondah.vic.
If you have any questions relating to any section of the Application Form or require assistance completing the form, please contact the Curatorial Team via email Gallery.Attendant@maroondah.
Those seeking funds to assist in the development of their proposal may consult with Gallery staff regarding Council funding opportunities and other arts funding sources.
To check whether you are eligible to apply for a grant from Maroondah Council Arts and Cultural Grants Program please contact the Community Cultural Development Officer Mattie Young Mattie.Young@maroondah.vic.
All applications will be acknowledged by email after the closing date. Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their proposal by email once all proposals have been received and assessed. A formal agreement will then be developed between the artist/hirer and Council.