The Daisy Utemorrah Award is now open for entries.
The Daisy Utemorrah Award is for an unpublished manuscript of junior or YA fiction by a First Nations author. The Award is open to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people currently living in Australia. The winner of the award receives $15,000 and a publishing contract with Magabala Books.
Applicants must be:
- An Aboriginal person and/or Torres Strait Islander person;
- Living in Australia;
- Over 18 years of age or provide consent from a parent or guardian to enter;
- Not have previously won the Daisy Utemorrah Award;
- Co-authored manuscripts are eligible, but authors must comply with Magabala’s publishing eligibility criteria.
The submitted manuscript must be:
- An original work;
- Manuscripts must be within the category of Junior or Young Adult fiction, that is: fictional works specifically aimed at readers aged between 8 – 18;
- Unpublished – this means that the manuscript cannot have been previously published, or self-published, with an ISBN in print or electronic form (publication of up to 10 per cent of the manuscript will be accepted);
- The manuscript must not be currently entered in other writing competitions, or under submission to a publisher, or subject to contractual negotiations;
- Eligible manuscripts may be in English, Aboriginal English, an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander language, or a combination of these, including a bilingual text.
Download the Award Guidelines and Entry Form to apply.
Entries CLOSE 30 MARCH 2022
To discuss any aspect of your application please contact Project Officer, Kate Rendell firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Magabala office on 08 9192 1991.
For more information, visit Magabala