Arts coverage is under threat in Australian newspapers as The Age and SMH announce they are turning tabloid and making massive staff cuts.
This content is only available to members of ArtsHub
Join Now for instant access!
A subscription to ArtsHub will enable you to:
- Access the most comprehensive jobs board for the arts sector, with hundreds of positions posted weekly
- Keep up to date with the latest industry news
- Access thousands of members-only features, articles and guides
- Be in the know with upcoming events and exhibitions added daily
- Learn how and where to get grants, with the most extensive grant finder
... and much, much more.
Join Now and join the Australian arts community today
Newspaper big shots never much liked the arts. You get to the top in media by doing police rounds and politics not by covering culture.
Media practice, developed and maintained by men of a certain age, designates stories about underworld drug bosses, party heavies and union bosses as “hard” news and stories about things ordinary people care about – like family or grief or love – as “soft”. Football, with all that sweat and testosterone, is a category all of its own.