RMIT took over the Capitol Cinema but without the money to refurbish it. Finally, we are seeing some action, and an appeal for funds.
This content is only available to members of ArtsHub
Join Now for instant access!
A subscription to ArtsHub will enable you to:
- Access the most comprehensive jobs board for the arts sector, with hundreds of positions posted weekly
- Keep up to date with the latest industry news
- Access thousands of members-only features, articles and guides
- Be in the know with upcoming events and exhibitions added daily
- Learn how and where to get grants, with the most extensive grant finder
... and much, much more.
Join Now and join the Australian arts community today
RMIT reached out to the public with its plans to restore the Capitol at a formal announcement this week. Even with the entire ground floor turned into a concrete tunnel with drab cafes, the building is still a stunning piece of architectural history. The roof is a huge array of controllable coloured lights and symmetrical baffles - not bad for the mid-Twenties.