In the Alice-in-Wonderland world of contemporary sculpture, scale is distorted to give us giant cartoon characters and miniature nudes, a powerful counterpoint to traditional monumentalism.
Gill Gatfield, x, 73 x 73 x 10cm, Granite, Sculpture by the Sea, Bondi 2013. Photo Samantha Burns
Ours is not an age of gods or heroes so what we choose to place on a pedestal – literally and figuratively – is monument to our sense of self.
This content is only available to members of ArtsHub
Join Now for instant access!
A subscription to ArtsHub will enable you to:
- Access the most comprehensive jobs board for the arts sector, with hundreds of positions posted weekly
- Keep up to date with the latest industry news
- Access thousands of members-only features, articles and guides
- Be in the know with upcoming events and exhibitions added daily
- Learn how and where to get grants, with the most extensive grant finder
... and much, much more.
Join Now and join the Australian arts community today