Projecting its own obsession with materiality back into its auditoriums, Cannes Film Festival is chiefly concerned with artifice.
Oscar Wilde could easily have been referring to the Cannes Film Festival when he said, ‘Life imitates Art far more than Art imitates Life.’ Everything here looks and feels like a movie. Everywhere you turn there’s artifice. The red carpet is professionally lit, the extras (crowds) are lined up waiting for ‘action’ and the enormous crew (festival staff) could rival any major studio production.
This content is only available to members of ArtsHub
Join Now for instant access!
A subscription to ArtsHub will enable you to:
- Access the most comprehensive jobs board for the arts sector, with hundreds of positions posted weekly
- Keep up to date with the latest industry news
- Access thousands of members-only features, articles and guides
- Be in the know with upcoming events and exhibitions added daily
- Learn how and where to get grants, with the most extensive grant finder
... and much, much more.
Join Now and join the Australian arts community today