Thylacine specialise in the design and delivery of public environments that connect the visitor personally and physically to an experience and story. We are a multi-award winning team with extensive experience in the planning, design, fabrication and delivery of interpretive, commemorative and educational projects including exhibitions, interactives, public art and cultural projects around Australia and internationally.
We strive to design and make experiences and spaces that immerse the visitor in a story, dialogue, journey or interaction. We have achieved this best when the visitor is not aware of the detail of the work we have done and are entirely within the story and experience.
As a company we have 21 years of practical experience in the specialist field of interpretive design, working on permanent and temporary exhibitions nationwide. We employ a multi-disciplinary team of designers and makers including interpretive, media, interior, graphic and industrial designers, architects, artists, researchers and writers, joiners and mount makers.
We aim for excellence on all projects we undertake. Recent projects to receive accolades include:
- Tweed Regional Museum, Land Life Culture, MAGNA, Museums and Galleries National Awards 2020, Permanent Exhibition or Gallery Fitout
- National Archives of Australia, Permanent Galleries Connections and Voices, Muse International Design Awards 2020 Gold Award for Exhibits, Pavilions & Exhibitions
- Recycling Discovery Hub for the ACT Government, which received an Interpretation Australia award for projects over 150k in 2019
- Bilya Koort Boodja,Centre for Nyoongar Culture and Environmental Knowledge in Western Australia, which was shortlisted in the 2019 Australian Interior Design Awards for Installation Design. The project received an honourable mention for Architectural Design / Cultural Architecture in the 2019 Architecture Master Prize and was a finalist in the International Architecture of Necessity Awards curated through Virserum Konsthall in Sweden.
- Container for the Australian National Maritime Museum, which was awarded a silver in the DrivenxDesign 2018 Sydney Design Award for Pop-Ups, Display, Exhibit and Set Design Museum
- Encounters for the National Museum of Australia, which received two 2016 Museums and Galleries National Awards (MAGNA) for Best Major Temporary Exhibition and as Co-Winner of the Best Museum Project Overall