The Friends of the Australian Ballet (FAB) is the principal support organisation for The Australian Ballet (TAB) in NSW. FAB is an independent, not-for-profit, membership-based company limited by guarantee, established in 1973.
FAB is looking for a volunteer Production Assistant to support the FAB staff and the FAB Special Events Committee in the delivery of a special event in 2021.
The Special Events Organising Committee is made up of Australian Ballet supporters who are experienced event planners, managers and fund-raisers. The Committee is charged with the delivery of the event and is a separate support group to FAB with its own Chair.
David McAllister is a beloved icon of The Australian Ballet and is the outgoing Artistic Director of 20 years. This event “Celebrating David McAllister” will be the major event celebrating David’s tenure and success and will be held at Doltone House Hyde Park on Wednesday 28th April 2021 to a luncheon audience of potentially over 300 people. The event will have two significant staged components with guests, interviews and a ceremony.
This position is a great opportunity to gain hands-on experience in event and production management of a high-end, major event. It will be of particular interest to someone who wishes to gain further knowledge of, and skills within the arts, events and production coordination sector.
You will have some existing experience in event management, production or self-initiated projects or in some other allied experience such as tertiary education that is aligned to this position.
The Production assistant will help with planning and delivery of a large Friends of The Australian Ballet event: the farewell celebration for The Australian Ballet’s Artistic Director David McAllister in April 2021. The position will report to and support the Production Manager Lyndi Adler and liaise with the FAB office and staff.
You will gain experience in various stages of event and production management, from planning through to completion and have the opportunity to work with and learn from a number of theatre/industry professionals.
This position is voluntary and reports to the Production Manager Lyndi Adler who is also a FAB Organising Committee member. There is a need for flexibility as the event is in April 2020 but there is preparatory work required shortly with the number of hours increasing in the lead up to the event. This will include a meeting on the second Wednesday of each month at 11am for approximately 1 hour (usually via Zoom).
Friends of The Australian Ballet is committed to the quality of our volunteer and internship programs we offer. The successful candidate will be provided with genuine learning and development opportunities.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
The position will support the Production Manager and liaise with FAB Manager and Office to successfully deliver the planned event. The nature of the responsibilities and duties will vary but will include:
- Working alongside the FAB Committee Production Manager Lyndi Adler and acting as an implementer, runner and coordinator in all areas of the physical production and staging of the event as directed by the Production manager as may be required.
- Bumping in/out.
- Managing Green Room and cueing/escorting talent.
- Act as a runner, distributing messages between staff/talent/crew/venue.
- Transporting equipment.
- Liaising with service providers
- Ensuring all bump-out requirements have been actioned
The following skills and knowledge need to be demonstrated:
Specialist Knowledge and Skills
- Experience in stage, production or event management
- Organisational skills, accuracy and attention to detail
- Proactive, creative and enthusiastic
- Highly computer literate; experience in Microsoft Office, social media platforms and email clients
- Driver’s license
- Ability to work autonomously with minimal supervision
- Prioritisation of work with ability to manage multiple tasks and multiple projects
- Time management
- Ability to work flexibly and think on your feet, with a positive ‘can-do’ attitude
- Lateral thinking and problem solving
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills
- Build and maintain positive and productive relationships with various stakeholders
- Negotiation skills
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCES
The role does not require formal qualifications but some working knowledge of stage or production or event management is highly desirable. Demonstrated experience in a similar role or self-initiated projects or in some other allied experience such as tertiary education that is aligned to this position is needed.
For the full position description, please email email@example.com
To apply for the role, please submit a CV and cover letter addressing the selection criteria to FAB Manager Amy Hill via firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions or wish to discuss the position, please contact Amy Hill on 02 9252 7322 or email@example.com