The Fellowship exists to honour an established writer for her or his body of work, rather than for a single script. It is an acknowledgement of excellence which also provides a writer with an opportunity to continue to progress their career.
Awarded annually to a writer whose work has been produced professionally in Australia in the last four years, the prize consists of a total prize package of $25,000 which includes a year-long Fellowship in recognition of their excellent body of work, and a commission to write a new play.
The Patrick White Playwrights Fellowship winner will be announced at an event in May 2019.
The successful candidate will meet the following criteria:
- Be committed to and passionate about new Australian writing.
- Have had a play produced professionally in Australia within the last four years.
- Have had at least two professional productions produced in Australia.
- Be an experienced playwright whose career would benefit from receiving the Fellowship.
- Be prepared to accept and fulfil a commission worth $15,000 as part of their prize as well as the nominal duties outlined below.
During the year of the Fellowship (April 2020 to May 2021), the Fellow will:
- Undertake a mentorship role with Sydney Theatre Company’s Emerging Writers Group. The details and commitments of the mentor role will be agreed between the successful Fellow and Sydney Theatre Company.
- If specifically required to do so, attend STC events (e.g. opening nights).
- Work with the Literary Manager to develop a commissioned play to be considered for programming in March 2021.
Entries for the Patrick White Playwrights Fellowship close 5pm AEDT Monday 18 November 2019.
Enquiries: (02) 9250 1700 or firstname.lastname@example.org