Applications are now open for the 2020 Writers SA Writers & Readers in Residence Project, a unique chance for authors to connect with a regional or remote South Australian community, and undertake an artistic residency to work on their own projects for 2–4+ weeks.
Designed to activate reading as well as writing in regional communities and for the professional development of the writers involved, the project is assisted by the Australian Government through the Australia Council for the Arts, its arts funding and advisory body.
Writers SA will support at least two local authors to regional and remote areas of SA over the next nine months (residencies to conclude by September 2020) to host public events, deliver workshops, meet face-to-face with writers and readers, and discover new books with local readers. Writers SA works with local councils and community groups to build fully engaged itineraries with each resident writer.
Past recipients include Manal Younus, Karen Wyld, Jane Howard, Alexis West, Jennifer Mills, Royce Kurmelovs. Communities visited include Ceduna, Mt Gambier, Whyalla, Port Lincoln, Port Augusta, Roxby Downs, Berri and Renmark. Writers SA is interested in hearing from writers who wish to visit other parts of the state, including Kangaroo Island (must have a current drivers licence, car not necessary), Anangu Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara (APY Lands), Millicent and Coober Pedy, and anywhere else SA writers wish to engage with community.
Community benefits include:
• Access to a professional writer for one-on-one consultations and advice
• Public events, social and networking opportunities, workshops and events presented by the writer at local venues
• Public and work-in-progress readings by the writer of their own, and/or others’, works
Writer benefits include:
• Minimum two weeks residency to work on a creative project from a public space within a library and/or community centre
• All accommodation, travel, per diems, and a writer’s fee including 9.5% super paid weekly upon invoice
• Meet new writers, readers and make meaningful connections with a regional or remote South Australian community
You must be a resident of South Australia.
You must be a Writers SA member (join now from $55 per annum).
You must demonstrate active involvement with the South Australian or Australian writing community via publication, performance or participation/membership.
You must describe the value of the residency and chosen location for your creative practice.
Terms and conditions can be found here - https://writerssa.org.au/latest/2020-writers-readers-residence-now-open-applications/