The Copyright Agency’s Create Grants offer opportunities for mid-career and established creative writers and visual artists to create and develop new work. The grants provide a living allowance to a writer or a visual artist to write or create a new work for publication or exhibition.
Create Grants do not support academics with scholarly or academic works.
Projects should span up to twelve months.
Applications are assessed by a panel of independent peers from the writing, publishing and visual arts sectors.
These grants will support projects that start after 1 October 2020.
Amount of grant: $10,000, $15,000 or $20,000
Visit our activities supported page for a full list of what the Cultural Fund will and won’t support.
Who can apply
- Authors must have previously published at least two full-length books of their own creative writing (including professionally presented plays) in the following literary genres: fiction, literary non-fiction, children’s and young adult literature, picture book illustration, poetry, graphic novels, and writing for performance.
- Visual artists must have a minimum of five years’ professional experience with a minimum of five solo exhibitions in public or commercial galleries.
- Applicants must be Australian citizens or permanent residents.
- Applicants must have acquitted any overdue Cultural Fund grants to be eligible for further funding.
How to apply
- You must apply via the SmartyGrants online grants platform.
- Applications must be submitted by the closing date via the SmartyGrants online system.
- Applicants may submit only one application per round to the Cultural Fund.
- Late applications will not be accepted.
- Incomplete applications will not be assessed.