The next closing dates are:
- Tuesday 2 March 2021 for projects starting after 1 June 2021
The rounds close at 3pm AEDT on the closing date.
Please note: To apply you must be registered in our application management system a minimum of two business days prior to the closing date.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application approximately 12 weeks after the closing date.
About the program
The Regional Performing Arts Touring program (Playing Australia) supports performing arts to reach regional and remote communities across Australia. Grants are available to support the net touring and other designated costs associated with tours. There is no limit on the amount that can be requested.
Playing Australia is open to applications for funding with some adjustments to the guidelines (for closing date on 6 October 2020 and 2 March 2021 only) accounting for COVID-19 conditions.
These adjustments take account of:
- current extenuating circumstances for producers and presenters, allowing for flexibility within tours
- additional costs which may be required for the safe delivery of tours
- potential for state border closures and varying conditions between states and regions
- ongoing financial implications of COVID-19.
Please read the guidelines below, which outline temporary adjustments. Applicants are strongly encouraged to speak to a member of the Artists Services team before applying to this fund.
Please read our updated FAQ's before commencing your application.
READ OUR UPDATED FAQS
Who can apply
We accept applications from individuals and organisations.
Who can't apply
You can't apply for a grant if:
- you received a grant, or administered a grant, from the Australia Council in the past and that grant has not been satisfactorily acquitted
- you owe money to the Australia Council.
Regional touring will be occurring in a very different operating environment due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We encourage applicants to consider creative ways in which work can be brought to audiences and communities at this difficult time.
The following adjustments to eligible costs will be in place for the October 2020 and March 2021 closing dates.
You can apply for:
- inter-state and/or intra-state touring costs, including freight, transport, accommodation and travel allowances
- a contribution towards tour coordination expenses
- costs associated with re-mounting a work, to be used to demonstrably reduce the performance fee for a presenter or venue
- a contribution towards costs associated with COVIDSafe delivery of touring. These may be costs of the presenter or costs of the touring party and may include:
- additional cleaning or staffing costs within venues
- touring costs for understudies or additional crew in the touring party
- costs for Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) or other safety equipment.
What you can’t apply for
You can’t apply for the following activity:
- projects for which the performers and artistic personnel are not paid at award rates
- projects that are to tour an international production
- touring projects that only include capital city or metropolitan presentations
- touring projects that only include presentations in schools
- tour dates that have already taken place
- projects with a budget in surplus.
If you need help with your application, contact an Artists Services Officer now.
You can find a list with the recipients of the February 2020 Grant Round here.