Signal’s Young Creatives Lab provides an opportunity for young artists and creative practitioners to propose new ideas to be realised in collaboration with Signal.
The Young Creatives Lab supports funding from $5000 to $8000 per project.
New ideas and project proposals are welcome from young artists and creative practitioners aged 18 to 25 years. Artists of all disciplines are encouraged to apply, as well as inter-disciplinary artists and creatives such as curators, producers, performers, designers, film makers, gamers, new media artists and writers etc.
Proposals may include any new creative project such as: an exhibition, installation, performance, conversation series, development of a publication, a series of workshops, a digital project or a screen or sound work etc.
The Young Creatives Lab utilises the Signal studio, rehearsal space, computer lab, plaza, screens and soundwalk for project development and presentations. Projects are encouraged to make full use of the Signal venue and must do so for at least one or more of the following: project development, rehearsals, launches and / or presentations etc. Please visit Signal Spaces for more information and to see facilities and equipment available. Please note: Any additional public outcomes must take place within the City Of Melbourne municipal boundaries.
The initial application process is simple - tell us your idea and complete a budget outlining creative personnel, production costs, and materials required. Signal will then work with you to realise your idea.
Successful Young Creatives Lab projects have access to:
- project funding between $5000 and $8000
- producing and marketing support
- Signal venue, technical and production support
- one-on-one sessions with a dedicated mentor
- additional funding to assist with access requirements for participants and audience.
Assessment and criteria
A selection panel made up of industry peers and Signal creative staff will assess each project proposal.
Projects will be assessed and selected based on the following criteria:
- innovation and point of difference
- idea is clearly expressed and achievable
- impact of participation in the Young Creatives Lab on the applicant’s professional development
- how the idea / proposal engages with the Signal venue and program.
- EOI opens: Monday 2 March at 9am
- EOI closes: Friday 3 April at 9pm
- Successful/unsuccessful applicants notified: by Friday 1 May
- Lab intensive at Signal: Thursday 16 July and Friday 17 July 2020
Successful applicants must be available to take part in the Lab intensive in July at Signal.
Projects must be delivered between August 2020 and May 2021.