Applications for the Incubator Fellowship is open and will close Monday 16 December 2019 at 5pm AEST.
The information on this page is a guide only. We recommend reading the full guidelines before completing your application.
Download the Incubator – NSW Theatre (Emerging) Fellowship guidelines here.
To apply for funding you will need to complete and submit the relevant application form through our secure online grants system, SmartyGrants.
Incubator – NSW Theatre (Emerging) Fellowship is set up in partnership with Griffin Theatre Company to support artist development across the theatre industry in NSW.
Four emerging theatre practitioners in the early stages of their career will be selected for a three-month residency at Griffin Theatre Company to undertake creative development of new work and professional mentorship with the company. The shortlisted applicants will explore their project with input and support from Griffin to challenge and expand their practice.
At the completion of the three months, the Fellowship recipient will be selected from the shortlist to undertake a self-directed program of professional development.
Who can apply for funding?
You must meet the following three criteria:
1. Applicant type
You must be an:
- Australian citizen; or
- permanent resident; and
- an individual based in NSW.
2. Arts practice
You must be either a:
- designer (set, costume, lighting or sound); or
3. Career stage
You must self-identify as an emerging* artist or arts and cultural worker.
* An emerging or early career artist or arts and cultural worker who is in the early stages of their career and has created a modest independent body of work.
How much funding is available?
Four shortlisted applicants will receive support to explore their project and practice with input from Griffin Theatre Company artistic staff over a period of three months (1 March 2020 – 31 May 2020). Griffin will provide a level of support to each applicant’s development project, dependent on project details and requirements.
At the completion of the three months, one of the shortlisted applicants will be awarded the Fellowship and receive $30,000 in financial support towards their proposed self-directed professional development program to be undertaken in Australia or overseas.
How will my application be assessed?
You must address three assessment criteria:
Your applications should demonstrate:
- the artistic rational for your proposed Fellowship program
- the quality and reputation of any previous work
- your inspirations of influences
Your application should demonstrate:
- where you are at in your career
- how this proposed fellowship opportunity will benefit you at this stage of your career
Your application should demonstrate:
- effective planning and use of resources for your proposed Fellowship program
- realistic and accurate project budget for your proposed Fellowship program.
When will I know if my application is successful?
All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their applications under embargo* in February 2020.
The Incubator – NSW Theatre (Emerging) Fellow 2019/20 will be selected through an interview process at the completion of the three-month development program (March – May 2020) and announced in early June 2020.
* Under embargo means that applicants are notified but cannot publicise the outcome until the official announcement has been made by the Minister for the Arts or Create NSW.
What support is available to me?
Resources are available to assist you with your funding application. Contact a staff member if you need any advice between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday:
Telephone: (02) 8289 6520
If you are an applicant with disability, and you require this information in a format which is accessible to you, or if you require this information in another language, you can contact us on the details above between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday.
The National Relay service numbers are:
TTY users: Phone 133 677 then ask for (02) 8289 6520
Speak and Listen users: Phone 1300 555 727 then ask for (02) 8289 6520
Internet Relay users: Connect to NES then ask for (02) 8289 6520