The Australia Council offers three grant rounds each year for this category.
In 2020, the grant rounds will close on:
- Tuesday 4 February for projects starting after 1 May 2020 (11:59pm AEDT).
- Tuesday 2 June for projects starting after 1 September 2020 (11:59pm AEST).
- Tuesday 6 October for projects starting after 1 January 2021 (11.59pm AEDT).
Technical and administrative support will not be available after 5pm on the closing date.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application approximately 12 weeks after the closing date.
About the program
If you are an individual artist, arts worker or group of artists, a Career Development Grant can provide support to further develop your skills or improve your capacity to build an enduring career in the arts. Career Development grants are available from $5,000 to $25,000. These grants can support a broad range of activities such as skills and professional development, mentorships, showcases, residencies and other projects directly related to your career development. Supported activities must last no longer than two years from the proposed start date.
Please read through the following grant guidelines. You can find a case study of a recently-awarded career development grant here. If you need help with your application, contact a Grants Officer now.
Who can apply
Only individuals and groups may apply to this category. You must be a practising artist or arts worker and an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident.
Applications for funding to the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Arts panel must come from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander individuals or groups.
Who can’t apply
You can’t apply for a grant if:
- you received a grant, or administered a grant, from the Australia Council in the past and that grant has not been satisfactorily acquitted
- you owe money to the Australia Council
- you have already made three applications to categories listed under Australia Council Grant Programs this calendar year (funding proposals submitted to categories under Other Grants and Opportunities are not counted as one of your three applications)
We will not accept applications from legally constituted organisations in this category.
What you can apply for
You can apply for a range of activities. Some examples of the activities we fund are:
- professional skills development
- showcase opportunities
- forum/workshop attendance
- arts market attendance and exploration.
What you can’t apply for
You can’t apply for the following activity:
- projects or activities that do not involve or benefit practising artists or arts worker
- projects or activities that do not have a clearly defined arts component
- projects that have already taken place.
For further information please visit our website