The National Library of Australia, in partnership with its generous sponsors and donors, offers researchers an opportunity to undertake a 12-week residency at the Library. Applicants may work in any field or discipline where the Library’s collections have appropriate depth and breadth to support the desired outcomes.
Fellowships are available to researchers who require onsite access to the Library’s uniquely held or extensive collections to advance their research towards publication or other public outcomes. Fellowships will:
- contribute to a greater public understanding or knowledge of the Library’s collections
- promote discussion through research which informs and engages contemporary discourse.
- enhance the national and international reputation of the National Library as an institution of major research significance.
- actively promote the research experience and outcomes
Fellowships are open to individuals with research at any stage of development, as well as those undertaking research which forms part of a larger project. When an individual is contributing to a collaborative project, they must demonstrate their own research component.
The period of Fellowship research may lead to longer-term outcomes, rather than immediate publication or public outcomes. The Library does not expect Fellows to compete a body of work during the residency.
As part of the residency, all Fellows will benefit from:
- a sustained period of research based on the Library’s collections
- special and supported access to collections
- access to the Fellows room, with full office facilities and a personal workstation
- copies of collection materials (within reasonable limits and according to access and copyright conditions)
Funded Fellowships will also receive the following financial support:
- an honorarium of AUD $1,000 per week for 12 weeks
- accommodation support of AUD $700 per week for 12 weeks if required (not payable to residents in the Canberra region)
- reimbursement of travel costs equivalent to one return domestic airfare to Canberra (not payable to residents in the Canberra region), subject to substantiation of the expenditure. Reimbursement of international travel is capped at AUD $2,500, and limited to one return flight.
Please note: Fellowships are awarded to an individual. Funding will be paid directly to the individual for the purposes of supporting their Fellowship. Payments are made in two installments in week 1 and week 6 of the Fellowship. Any other arrangements between the individual and their employer are the individual’s responsibility. As Fellowship support may have tax implications, it is recommended Fellows seek professional financial advice.