City of Sydney
This program supports projects and initiatives that contribute to Sydney’s cultural life, provide opportunities for creative participation, enliven public spaces, and strengthen the sustainability and capacity of our cultural and creative industries.
Our funding will prioritise projects that:
- promote local culture and stories
- explore aspects of Sydney’s history
- celebrate Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities and culture
- represent the cultural and social diversity of our community
- increase access to creativity and culture for the city’s communities
- encourage cultural organisations and artists to locate and operate in Sydney
- address challenges facing the creative industries and cultural sector.
We encourage applications from organisations that support Aboriginal and Torres and Strait Islander communities and culture, including Aboriginal community-controlled organisations and networks.
Proposals are assessed against:
- evidence of the need for the project and proposed outcomes
- capacity and experience of the applicant to deliver the project
- demonstrated connection and benefit to the local area and communities
- evidence of diversity, inclusion and equity in the planning and delivery of the project
- how the project delivers against the funding priorities.
Cash funding from $10,000 to $50,000 per year is available, for a one-year program or multi-year funding (up to 3 years).
Value-in-kind in the form of street banner and venue hire fee waiver is also available.
Applicants can apply for up to $5,000 worth of capital expenditure or equipment purchase.
For applications of more than $30,000, we recommend you contact our grants team on 02 9265 9333 to discuss your project and its alignment with the grants and sponsorship program guidelines.
Eligible for funding
To be eligible an applicant must operate within the City of Sydney’s local government area or be able to demonstrate significant benefits for the area’s residents, workers and/or visitors.
These individuals and organisations can apply:
- not-for-profit organisations
- for-profit organisations
- sole traders
- individuals or unincorporated community groups auspiced by a not-for-profit or for-profit that is eligible to apply in their own right.
If you work with an auspicing organisation, we encourage you to choose one that is relevant to the sector and that can support the development of the proposal.
For more information on eligibility, see the eligibility section in the grants and sponsorship program guidelines.
Not eligible for funding
Funding is not available for:
- operational costs or overheads for the core business of an organisation
- project that are a festival or event
- projects that directly contravene the eligibility and ethics framework or existing city policies.
For more information visit https://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/cultural-support-funding/creative-grants