Who has more films? Bigger audiences? Better curation? Important premieres? ArtsHub's guide to everything you need to know Australian film festivals.
Across the country, every major city has one in some shape or another – a celebration of all things cinematic in the form of a film festival, that is. The national circuit starts in June in Sydney, then pinballs from coast to coast for the remainder of the year, ranging from Perth to Melbourne to Darwin to Launceston, encompassing Adelaide every second year, and also spanning Canberra and Brisbane.
Each festival is a unique product of its local environment, catering for its community and endeavouring to earn its own place amongst the range of other film-focused offerings tempting cinephiles all year round – but not all festivals are created equal. They may share common movies, logistical necessities, and the goal of enjoying the simple pleasure of moving pictures projected onto a screen in a darkened theatre, yet diversity rages.
This content is only available to members of ArtsHub
Join Now for instant access!
A subscription to ArtsHub will enable you to:
- Access the most comprehensive jobs board for the arts sector, with hundreds of positions posted weekly
- Keep up to date with the latest industry news
- Access thousands of members-only features, articles and guides
- Be in the know with upcoming events and exhibitions added daily
- Learn how and where to get grants, with the most extensive grant finder
... and much, much more.
Join Now and join the Australian arts community today