Australians with Chinese Ancestry – Chinese Australians – forged the beginnings of a truly multicultural society that is the Australia of today. Starting in the 1850s and over 200 years of migration, Chinese Australians have been an integral part of Australia’s social and economic fabric, nationally and internationally.
Developed by the Chinese Museum and supported by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Who We Are is an eight-part video series that celebrates Australia’s multicultural heritage by providing insights into the immigration journeys of eight Chinese-Australians and their significant participation in contemporary Australian society.
The 8 episode titles are:
- We Set Sail Towards Australia: The Migration Journey Over 200 Years
- In Earlier Times We Faced Hardship: The Evolution of a Multicultural Society
- Now We Celebrate Our Chineseness!: Cultural Identity is a Strength Of Character
- I Wish to Pass on What Was Given to Me: Heritage Evolves from Generation to Generation
- You Can Be Who You Want to Be: Australia is a Land of Opportunity
- You Will Find New Friends, Then Get to Know Local Culture: Settling in a New Country Faces Its Challenges
- Our Pathways in Life Are Both Exciting and Challenging: Contributing to Australian Society
- Recognising Cultural Diversity Brings Us All Together: The Strength of Australia’s Social Harmony