Locale is made up of mini events, set over many locations, celebrating the people and diverse cultures that call
Cumberland area home.Everyone is welcome to join in and discover new places, hear new stories, make new friends.
Showcasing the best of Cumberland's diverse cultures and locations. Locale brings you the stories from the heart of the community, through a program of performance, food, ideas, talks and special events.
Locale Festival, now in its first year, aims to draw visitors and locals into the Cumberland area to experience the culture, food and vibrant community offered in this part of Sydney.
This exciting cultural Program includes many wonderful highlights, with great events for all ages -
- INDIGENOUS CULTURAL WALKING TOUR in PEMULWUY. Learning about local Aboriginal history, foraging for bush tucker and visiting significant aboriginal sites including the site of the first Act of Reconciliation in NSW.
- NIGHT OF LIGHTS - Visit the Gallipoli Mosque in Auburn and enjoy the beauty of the mosque lit up with a thousand lights, a night bazaar, orchestral performances by the Sydney World Music Chamber Orchestra, great food and more.
- BOLLYWOOD NIGHT at the Sai Temple in Regents Park. Dress up, dance and enjoy great food.
- THE GREAT DEBATE - a night hosted by members of the Canterbury Bulldogs and ABC Radio Sydney. Includes a panel discussion with Bulldogs team members and students. Free and great for high school students and their families. Discussing gender equality and multiculturalism in sport.
- POETRY and stories - Grandma's Shoes, presenting from the Sydney Writer's Festival.
- FOOD - Knafeh Bearded Bakers (different locations); various Cooking Classes; Cultural Banquets.
- FEASTS & MUSIC - Jollof African Rice Wars 2017, presented by Africultures; The Mambo Italiano Long Lunch; Shanghai Nights; Philippine Picnic Family Day; Maltese Folkloric Festival.
- EXHIBITIONS, ARTS & CRAFTS, WORKSHOPS - ALL FREE. Growing Herbs for Kids, Pickling classes, Herbal Tonics, Making beeswax wraps and other handy household tips.
- AND Doggy Days - two fabulously fun free park days with Doggy cafes, Doggy photo-booths and more. Bring your pooch, or come along and enjoy everyone else's.