Click on any image to view slide show
The Song Room is a national not-for-profit organisation that brightens the futures of Australia’s most disadvantaged children with tailored, high-quality music and arts programs, delivered in partnership with schools across the country.
Our programs are independently proven to lift the academic performance, school attendance, social-emotional wellbeing and community involvement of Australian school children.
The Song Room vision is that all Australian children have the opportunity to participate in music and the arts to enhance their education, personal development and community involvement, giving them the best possible start in life.
Our aim is to bridge the education equity gap for all Australian children by facilitating learning through the arts, starting with our most vulnerable groups and reaching all communities that lack specialist music and arts education. We want every child to benefit from long-term school music and arts programs.
Proven by independent research, our unique model of music and arts programs are delivered over a minimum of six months to help disengaged children stay focussed, improve their academic performance and social skills. They’re designed to fill the education gap and provide Australian school children with specialised teaching artists and tailored music and arts-based programs.
Independent evidence shows that The Song Room programs:
- Lifted students’ literacy (NAPLAN) by up to an entire year
- Almost halved the proportion of children at the lowest levels on the Social and Emotional Wellbeing Index
- Reduced school absenteeism by up to 65%
- Improved children’s capacity to concentrate
- Improved children’s levels of engagement with their learning
In addition to our in-school workshop programs, The Song Room has worked in partnership with leading arts organisations and arts education specialists to produce ARTS:LIVE.
ARTS:LIVE is a major national initiative aimed at achieving sustainable music and arts learning in school communities.
Encompassing an interactive learning platform that promotes active collaboration between teachers and students across five Art Forms: Dance, Drama, Media Arts, Music and Visual Arts, ARTS:LIVE enables students and teachers to access in-depth, Australian Arts curriculum aligned, classroom-ready interactive learning from anywhere in Australia, regardless of their existing skills and knowledge.
- Over 1000 media-rich interactive resources available for the delivery of Dance, Drama, Media Arts, Music and Visual Arts lessons, ranging from one class to a whole term for all year levels from early years to Year 10
- Resource content developed in collaboration with arts expert partners, such as Heide Museum of Modern Art, Australian Teachers of Media (ATOM) and AusDance
- Resources in a range of formats including videos, text, audio files, images and much more – all featuring expert musicians, performing and visual artists
- Educational content in a range of ‘ready to use’ resources, including Teacher Notes, Activity Guides and Australian Arts Curriculum alignment documents
ARTS:LIVE is now available free to every school in Australia. For more information, visit www.artslive.com.au