Click on any image to view slide show
The Adelaide Symphony Orchestra was founded as a 17 player radio ensemble and performed its first series of public concerts in 1936. Mr William Cade, an Adelaide born musician who had worked in London with Sir Thomas Beecham, was the orchestra's first conductor.
The orchestra reformed in 1949 as the 55 member South Australian Symphony Orchestra with the legendary Professor Henry Krips as resident conductor. During his 23 year association with the orchestra, Professor Krips achieved a level of musical performance and established the ASO's current reputation as an orchestra of world standard. His successor, the energetic and charismatic Elyakum Shapirra, was responsible for leading the ASO on its first interstate tour to Sydney, Canberra and Melbourne. The orchestra reverted to its original and present title, the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra in 1975.
With a reputation for its youthful vitality and superb artistry, the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra plays a central role at the heart of the South Australian community.