Click on any image to view slide show
Adelaide Festival Centre
We offer a diverse program of festival quality shows for a broad range of tastes and budgets, throughout the year. As well as our own festivals including the Adelaide Cabaret Festival in June, the OzAsia Festival in September and the biennial Guitar Festival in 2012, we make sure the festival continues, with a year packed full of music, dance, theatre and exhibitions.
Australia's first multi-purpose arts centre was designed from the inside out by architect John Morphett. Work began in Elder Park in 1970 and on 2 June 1973 the Festival Theatre opened, the Prime Minister, Gough Whitlam, officially opened the venue at a gala performance of Act Two, Scene 1 of Beethoven’s opera Fidelio and Beethoven’s Choral Symphony. The Playhouse, Space Theatre and Amphitheatre soon followed and Australia's first multi-functional performing arts complex was complete. The flourishing Festival Centre became a role model for many other performance venues as they strove to emulate its functionality and versatility. Since then it has become a place that South Australians regard with pride and a strong sense of ownership. Nearly 40 years later, it still maintains its status as a national arts icon. As well as managing the theatres and surrounding areas of the complex, the Festival Centre is one of Australia's most active arts centres and presents a wide range of arts activities and performances for the community.
Adelaide Festival Centre Mission
• To be the South Australian arts hub and a leading Arts Centre in the Asia Pacific region.
• Reinvent and comprehensively upgrade Adelaide Festival Centre and successful integrate the Festival Centre within the Riverside Precinct Development
• Sustain and develop our program led ethos to deliver great work in all our venues.
• Consolidate and increase ticketed attendances and visitation and sustain them.
• Ensure high quality customer experience across all aspects of Adelaide Festival Centre operations.
• Implement a more sustainable, responsive financial model to underpin the overall objectives of Adelaide Festival Centre.
Adelaide Cabaret Festival
Oz Asia Festival
Wine and Dine Festival