The Art Gallery of Western Australia, founded in 1895, occupies a precinct of three heritage buildings on the south-eastern corner of the Perth Cultural Centre. The Gallery houses the State Art Collection, which includes one of the world’s finest collections of Indigenous art, the pre-eminent collection of Western Australian art and design as well as Australian and International art and design.
This is a unique opportunity to join the Art Gallery of Western Australia as the Director Exhibitions, a key staff member who will have the overall responsibility to coordinate and deliver incoming exhibitions, collection displays and outgoing collection projects.
As the Director Exhibitions, you will work strategically with the Executive team towards the planning of innovative exhibitions and work closely with a dedicated team of curators, registrars, conservators and installers in the development, production and delivery of these and other projects.
You will be highly motivated and passionate about the visual arts in Western Australia and about working in the premiere visual arts institution in the State, being fully aware of its role as a public art museum dedicated to “stimulating conversations and providing new ways of looking and thinking about art, remaining one of Australia’s most influential arts advocates” (The essence of AGWA, 2015).
You will have extensive demonstrated experience in coordinating curatorial and content development activities, as well as collection management and production logistics to strict timeframes and budgets. Driving specific exhibition projects forward, you will monitor the schedule for all activities and keep team members up to date on progress, key issues and deadlines.
You will work collaboratively with relevant internal and external stakeholders, contributors and contractors to identify and develop content, monitor and report on exhibition progress and contribute to exhibition management strategy.
Specific responsibilities include among others:
- Develop and manage the human, financial and physical resources of the Exhibitions team to facilitate timely, efficient and on-schedule project management, and cross-team program delivery;
- Maintain a high level of communication and liaison across the Art Gallery to ensure a collaborative approach is taken in the development and delivery of exhibitions program;
- Maintain the highest levels of art museum standards for collection and exhibition installation and display;
- Participate in national and local forums and maintain industry networks interstate and more regularly with WA regional public galleries, which contribute to supporting the Gallery as a leader in exhibition delivery.
This position is located in central Perth within the Cultural Centre hub close to the bustling café, tourist and shopping districts.
This is a full-time, permanent vacancy.
A current (within 6 months) National Police Clearance Certificate will be required prior to commencement of employment, as per the Department of Culture and the Arts Police Record Screening Policy.
How to apply for this position
- Further information on selection criteria and the application process are available on the Jobs WA website. All applicants are required to apply on-line through the Jobs WA Apply For Job link
To submit your application, please go to the Jobs WA website and search for position 12586