Musica Viva inspires through ensemble music of quality, diversity, challenge and joy.
Purpose of position
The Manager, Emerging Artists Programs manages the implementation of Musica Viva’s artist-development activities, including producing the renowned Melbourne International Chamber Music Competition and its associated programs; leading our national masterclass activities; and supporting our innovative FutureMakers artistic leadership initiative.
Situated in MVA’s Melbourne office, the position reports to the Director of Concerts and Communities (based in National Office, Sydney), and works closely with the Concerts and Communities team, the Operations and Marketing Departments, the state office staff and Artistic Directors [Genevieve Lacey – FutureMakers and Wilma Smith – MICMC]. The position supervises a full-time Coordinator.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage and oversee the implementation of all emerging artists programs, as required.
- Manage and supervise the work of the Emerging Artists Coordinator and other staff as required.
- Maintain existing professional relationships and develop new ones in support of the programs.
- Managing program and activity budgets in consultation with the Director Concerts and Communities, the CFO and other relevant staff.
- Work with the National Marketing team to promote Emerging Artists Programs.
- Work closely with the Director of Concerts and Communities, Directors of Development, Grants Manager and state offices on private and public funding opportunities and relationship management with supporters and funding partners
- The Manager, Emerging Artists Programshas overall responsibility for the successful delivery and presentation of MICMC, and its associated programs. As such, the position has responsibility to:
- manage all aspects of staging MICMC, including logistics
- manage the audition process in conjunction with the Artistic Director
- work with the Artistic Director and senior company colleagues to devise and implement non-Competition year activity
- work collaboratively to promote MICMC and associated programs, including building international reputation and achieving revenue goals
- Work closely with the initiative’s Artistic Director and the Director, Concerts and Communities on aligning the initiative’s goals and objectives with the aspirations and needs of the initiative’s musicians.
- Maintain strong relationships with the initiative’s musicians and alumni, and identified mentors and creatives involved in the initiative’s activity, as well as partner organisations.
- Work closely with the Producer, 2018-19 FutureMakers performance projects on her role as producer for the two 2018-19 FutureMakers artists’ performances projects,working with and alongside the artists and others on the projects from initial ideas exploration through to ready for performance state.
Masterclasses and other artistic development activities
- Work with Concerts and Communities department and state teams on the continued development of an engaging and company-wide integrated and leveraged Masterclasses program.
- Manage the relationships with key tertiary and other institutions with whom Musica Viva partners for emerging artist developmental activity.
- In collaboration with other staff as appropriate, manage the selection process for students.
Other Emerging Artist programs
- Manage other emerging artist programs and activities as required.
Essential Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications & Abilities:
- A classical music degree or equivalent professional experience in classical music.
- Significant experience in working with professional classical musicians in a performance context.
- Demonstrated understanding of the common career pathways for Australian classical musicians.
- Demonstrated experience in producing arts or cultural events ‘from scratch’, including substantial experience of practical artistic operations.
- Demonstrated experience in a position requiring a high level of attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Competency and experience with budgets, ideally using Excel.
Desirable Knowledge & Skills:
- Strong interest in chamber music.
- Experience in touring musicians.
- Experience in supervising staff including volunteers.
- Unrestricted drivers licence (car).
To apply: Send your resume and a letter of application addressing the competency and experience requirements to email@example.com.
Applications without a cover letter addressing the position requirements will not be considered.
Musica Viva is a family friendly and flexible employer committed to equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and other diverse cultural and regional communities. We also welcome applications from people who identify as having a disability. If at any stage of the recruitment process you require any accommodation due to a disability please let us know.
Applications close: 6pm Sunday 1 July 2018