REELise is a youth mental health charity with a mission to empower young people to address the impacts of cyberbullying and the complexities of growing up in a digital age.
Our signature program, the REELise Film Festival, turns an instrument of bullying - the mobile phone - into a positive change making tool, providing an opportunity for young people to craft authentic content about the real-life impacts of an online world. Since 2014 over 80 pocket films have been created by youth 10 - 18 years and showcased online and in VMAX at Event Cinemas, NSW.
As an adjunct to our annual Film Festival, we provide educational and youth leadership programs.
At the heart of our operations is the REELise Youth Council - a group of secondary school and university students who, alongside the board, drive the direction of REELise. The Youth Council provides an opportunity for young people to further develop their skills in leadership, communication, project and event management, advocacy, governance and administration.
Now in our 4th year, we are looking to grow, with our long-term vision of becoming a national youth led organisation empowering young people to create positive change and giving voices to the diversity of youth across Australia.
To help us achieve our mission and our vision of becoming a national youth led organisation, we are looking for passionate and engaged young people aged 16 to 25 to join our Youth Council.
The role of the Youth Council is to:
- Advocate for a better online environment and to raise awareness about the complexities of growing up in a digital age.
- Work alongside the Board to set the strategic direction of REELise.
- Support and create youth awareness about REELise programs.
- Create a community of support to assist young people address online issues.
- Lead by example in the use of social media platforms creatively and responsibly.
The Youth Council meets monthly in Bondi Junction, with other activities such as filming days and events spread in between. While physical attendance is always preferred, Skype and other modes of attendance are available to make meetings as accessible as possible.
The role is estimated to require an average of 4 to 6 hours per month, with a larger dedication leading up to key events such as the annual Film Festival. While the role is as a volunteer (like everyone in REELise), in return, you will receive:
- Ongoing support and mentorship from the Board and the broader REELise community.
- An opportunity to develop your leadership skills and work as part of a dynamic youth team.
- A chance to create a positive impact in the lives of young Australians.
So if you:
a) are passionate about youth mental health, the creative arts and/or social activism;
b) want the chance to create a positive impact in the lives of young Australians; and
c) are looking for ways to develop personally and professionally,
then we want to hear from you.
Applicants should email the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Contact Information: Contact Name, Phone Number, Postal Address and Email Address
- Curriculum Vitae (3 pages max)
- Brief statement (300 words max) addressing the following:
- Drive - What are your motivations for wanting to take a leading role in REELise’s next phase?
- Why you? - What skills/experience do you feel you would bring to the role?
- Support - What support do you feel you would need from REELise to realise your potential?