The National Young Writers’ Festival (NYWF) is Australia’s premier gathering for young writers.
Emphasising experimentation and inclusivity, NYWF provides a joyful, radical and transformative bootcamp for young and emerging writers, as part of the This is Not Art cultural festival, which happens each year in Newcastle, NSW.
We seek new members from Newcastle or the Hunter region to join the Board of the National Young Writers' Festival.
Members should demonstrate alignment to NYWF’s strategic vision, and willingness to nurture an environment for staff to explore, experiment, have fun and exercise creative vision, and should:
- Be based in Newcastle or the Hunter region
- Have / be able to build networks within the local writing or arts communities
Experience as a writer, of writing and publishing, or of working in a not-for-profit arts environment, will be viewed favourably.
Members must also:
- have the aptitude, willingness and time to mentor and support festival staff
- be committed to developing and supporting the long-term stability of NYWF
- understand the expectations and governance requirements for a not-for-profit organisation
- be able to attend and contribute to board meetings: quarterly meetings (Saturdays, half-day duration. Attendance can be via Skype); strategic planning meeting (one day per year, alternating Melbourne/Sydney); sub-committees as required (such as artistic sub-committee, fundraising sub-committee).
Expressions of interest are invited by 5PM AEDT Wednesday 28 February 2018.
To express your interest:
Please submit a letter of application, accompanied by a CV, to:
Shona Barrett, NYWF Chair at: email@example.com
NYWF’s strategic objectives are:
- To provide an immersive, residential festival experience where young writers – as participants, performers and audiences – celebrate their community of peers
- To support organic, playful and ambitious practice and champion different forms of storytelling
- To reflect the evolving writing community with a fresh and relevant annual program curated by young writers for young writers
- To provide a forum for spontaneous connection between participants, performers and audiences
- To demonstrate best practice as a mentoring organisation, facilitating a supportive professional development environment for a young staff and for participants in the festival
NYWF is a volunteer-run organisation. The festival is curated and delivered by a small staff team of early-career arts practitioners who volunteer on a two-year basis, gaining considerable personal and professional experience.
NYWF Board members play a strong advisory, mentoring, and administrative role in the development and operation of the Festival and support of its staff team.
About This is Not Art
This is Not Art (TiNA) is coalition of festivals hosted by the Octopod Association. The NYWF is the largest of the three independent festivals make up TiNA: the NYWF, Critical Animals and Crack Theatre Festival.
TiNA, and NYWF, happen in Newcastle, over 4 days over the NSW Labor Day long weekend at end September / early October. Much of NYWF’s longevity can be attributed to the community support and resource-sharing gained from being part of TiNA.
It is important for the NYWF to maintain strong connections to Newcastle and to the Hunter region. As a national organisation, Board members and staff members are based around Australia. At this time, we seek new members from the Hunter region.