AFTRS-Australian Film Television and Radio School (AH Account)
About the Course
This highly practical course will introduce you to the fundamentals of using Avid Media Composer, getting you up and running quickly in one day. It is most suitable for Post Producers or Production personnel who already work in the industry but are new to Avid and need to learn how to work the tools simply in one day, or for people who haven't used Avid for a while and need a refresher. Alternatively if you are not yet working in the industry but are aspiring to work in Post Production with Avid, this course can also get you started with the basics, learning from real world examples.
Please note, this is NOT a course for those wishing to learn the craft of editing
Course content includes:
• In a professional environment, how is media often organized in Avid, so you know where to find it
• How to create and organise your own folders and bins to house your own work
• How bin and sequence naming conventions in Avid can enhance communication between the producer and editor
• How to confidently play back multi-camera footage and listen to specific mics and view all or specific cameras
• How to create user settings to speed up and streamline your work
• How to create cut downs and assemblies, using basic editing skills
• Understanding and using the right timecode reference to locate specific footage, or when making notes or communicating with your editor
• How to create titles and use locators in Avid to create references for yourself, rather than keeping endless paper notes
No editing experience necessary for this course, but a familiarity with the Mac interface will be an advantage.
Feedback from previous students:
There was a good balance of theory/technical information and hands-on practical time. Rebecca was an excellent… teacher who created an encouraging atmosphere and keep the content moving at a speed which was sensitive to the skillbase of all participants.
About the Course Lecturer: Rebecca Edwards
Rebecca Edwards is a highly experienced Online Editor and Colourist and an Avid Certified Instructor (ACI). She has credits on some of the industry’s biggest, and fastest turnaround TV formats for the Australian, UK and USA markets. She has worked in a diverse range of genres including reality TV, children’s TV, and documentary, making shows about a wide range of subjects from cooking to losing weight, and from serial killers to drunken monkeys. The location highlight of her career to date was when she worked on a fully catered TV show in the Costa Rican jungle.